Please check the home page of the Consular Service of the Hungarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade:

  • New Zealand citizens are entitled to spend up to 90 days within a 6 months period in any of the Schengen area countries, including Hungary, on the basis of the Schengen Agreement. (Schengen Implementation Convention, Article 20, Paragraph 1).

New Zealand may have concluded a bilateral agreement with one or more Schengen countries, allowing you to stay longer than 90 days within 180 days in those countries. There is also a Bilateral Visa Waiver Agreement in force between Hungary and New Zealand, signed on the 7th of March 2000, that entitles New Zealand citizens to spent up to 90 days in Hungary even if the citizen has already spent 3 months in the last 6 months in the Schengen area on the basis of the Schengen Agreement.

  • If you would like to enter legally Hungary on the basis of the bilateral visa waiver agreement, you can do that if you meet all the criteria below:
  • you have to leave the Schengen area before entering Hungary
  • you do not leave Hungary to other Schengen countries during your stay in Hungary
  • you must leave the Schengen area FROM Hungary !

The following countries are parts of the Schengen Area: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. Please be aware that not all countries of the European Union are parts of the Schengen Area. In addition, few countries of the Schengen Area do not belong to the European Union.

  • If you are planning to apply for a Schengen visa and your main destination is Hungary:

Please contact the Swiss Embassy in Wellington, as Switzerland issues Schengen visas on behalf of Hungary for third country citizens residing in New Zealand with a valid New Zealand residence permit.

  • If you are planning to apply for residency permit in Hungary:

Applications for Hungarian residence permits can be lodged in Wellington at the Hungarian Embassy.

For further information on types of Hungarian residence permits please follow the website of the Immigration and Asylum Office of Hungary.

  • Regarding Working Holiday visas, you can find information here: