All Hungarian citizens must have their marriages officiated abroad registered in Hungary. Marriages are usually registered in Hungary at the registrar’s office, however it is also possible to file an application through the Consulate. 

Please note that the whole registration procedure takes on average 4 - 6 months but the Consulate cannot guarantee the length of the procedure.

The condition for submitting the application is that one of the parties (spouse) can prove his/her Hungarian citizenship both at the time of the marriage and the submission of the application. (If it cannot be proven, a Hungarian citizenship verification process is required of the applicant(s) first.)

The application can only be submitted in person with both parties (spouse) present.

The registration of marriage is free of charge. However, there might be an extra consular authentication fee in addition for any translations.

Documents to be submitted:

  • The original marriage certificate. 
  • The applicants must present their identity documents (passport, driver license) and prove their nationality.
    Hungarian birth certificate and Hungarian address card of the Hungarian citizen spouse (we also appreciate if the non-Hungarian spouse brings a copy of his/her birth certificate as well)
  • If the Hungarian bride's or the groom's family status at the time of the marriage was divorced or widow, you have to submit the Hungarian-issued or foreign marriage certificate, and/or the death certificate of the deceased spouse or a court decree (with Hungarian translation).
  • If the divorce from the previous marriage of a Hungarian citizen has not yet been registered, it has to be done simultaneously.

Please check the home page of the Consular Service of the Hungarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade: