Passport applications over 12 years of age must be submitted in person and are required to provide biometric data (fingerprints, signature and photo). A Hungarian citizen can apply for a Hungarian passport in possession of a valid proof of citizenship. In the absence of documents listed below or an active record in the electronic Database of Personal Details and Addresses of Hungarian Citizens, the applicant must undergo a citizenship verification process prior to being issued a passport. Please be advised that birth certificate issued in Hungary does not verify Hungarian citizenship!

If there is a change in the family/marital status of the applicant (e.g. marriage or divorce), at the time of the passport application this has to be reported as well! 


Validity of passport:

  • under 6 years of age: 3 years
  • 6-18 years of age: 5 years
  • over 18 years of age: 5 or 10 years by request.

Passport applications are forwarded electronically by the Embassy but produced in Hungary by the competent authority. The average timeframe of receiving passports from Hungary via diplomatic post is 4-6 weeks. There is no fast-track service at Hungarian missions.

We kindly ask all applicants to bring the following documents:

  • - documents proving Hungarian citizenship (valid Hungarian passport/ Hungarian passport expired within a year OR valid Hungarian ID card OR citizenship certification)
  • - Hungarian birth and marriage certificates 
  • - Hungarian address card
  • - parental consents in case of minor's applications
  • - parents’ valid passports or other IDs in case of minor’s applications
  • - police report and reference number in case of stolen Hungarian passport

Applications of minors and persons under guardianship can be submitted by the parents (legal guardian). There is no need for personal appearance of minors under 12 years of age because they are not required to give fingerprints. In such cases, the parents are required to bring one passport size photo of good quality, not older than one year. As a general rule, when applying for a passport for a minor, both parents have to be present. The presence of one parent (legal guardian) is sufficient if the other parent has given his/her prior consent to the application by filling out the parental consent form and signing it in front of a notary public, consular officer or honorary consul.